This is a nice BoGo deal on Amtrak in Northern California. On Saturdays through July 1st, you are able to bring a companion along with you for free!
The Capitol Corridor Amtrak line runs from Auburn to San Jose with a typical journey length of 4 hours and 15 minutes. There are bus connections that can be added (shown on the dotted gray lines below) for a few dollars more. This allows for many more cities to connect.
The maximum one-way price for a single adult on the orange train line is $43. You must book via this link to apply the BoGo discount. That means you are effectively paying $21.50 per adult for a 4+ hour journey. When you add connection cities, the price can vary slightly.
Here is the pricing you should see when booking a Saturday BoGo if booking solely on the train line:
You will see the text ‘promo applied’ above the pricing. Do note that Amtrak trains on this route do include free WiFi and they have a cafe on-board.
Seating on trains is typically much roomier when comparing to an airliner. Also, baggage allowance is better since trains are larger and weight is not a major concern.
I found that you can start in Truckee, connect in Sacramento, and then pick up your train the rest of the way via the promo. The total for two passengers would be just $58 to go from Truckee to San Jose, a great deal if you are not in a hurry!
Two passengers can travel from San Jose, CA to Marysville, CA for just $22.50 per person (one-way). That is a great deal to travel over 175 miles.
Need some beach in your life? You can travel from Santa Cruz to Marysville for just $26 per person, one-way (when booking with BoGo promo). Just be sure to check connection times as they can be overnight in some cases.
- Spacious and social seating with tables
- Complimentary Wi-Fi and electrical outlets
- Designated bike cars for bringing your bicycle
- A variety of delicious food and beverages from our Café Car
- Exclusively available at www.Amtrak.com.
- Valid for (1) one free companion rail fare with the purchase of (1) one regular (full) adult rail fare.
- Valid for sale December 6, 2016 – June 30, 2017.
- Valid for travel only on Saturdays, December 10, 2016 – July 1, 2017.
- Blackout dates apply on all days except Saturday.
- Advance reservations are required a minimum of (1) one day prior to travel.
- Valid for travel on the Capitol Corridor and associated Thruways; except not valid on the 7000-8999 Thruway series.
- Companion and full fare passenger must travel together on the same itinerary and have tickets issued together.
- Companion is subject to the same restrictions and conditions as the full fare passenger.
- Up to two (2) children (ages 2 – 12) may accompany each adult at half the regular full adult rail fare.
- Valid for Coach seats only.
- Seating is limited; seats may not be available on all trains at all times.
- Fares are subject to availability.
- Once purchased, tickets are non-refundable; exchanges are permitted prior to the original travel date.
- Not combinable with any other discount offer.
- In addition to the discount restrictions, this offer is also subject to any restrictions, blackouts and refund rules that apply to the type of fare purchased.
- Once travel has begun, no changes to the itinerary are permitted.
- Fares, routes and schedules are subject to change without notice.
- Other restrictions may apply.