For those of you who’ve yet to enroll in Alaska’s Mileage Plan, now would be the time. If you join between now and April 30th, you can score 5,000 free bonus points.
There are reports of Alaska Air customer support applying this promotion for people who enrolled in the last few months (prior to the promo beginning on March 23rd). It is worth a shot to reach out to them and ask.
8:00 am – 6:00 pm (PT), Monday-Friday
8:00 am – 5:00 pm (PT), Saturday
To earn the 5,000 Alaska points, you will just need to fly a single paid flight on either Alaska Air or Virgin America. This will not work for award flights as the terms say “the flight must be eligible to earn Mileage Plan miles”. Award flights do not earn miles, so you have to pay cash. Not to fear!
There are one-way flights up and down the west coast for around $60.
As you can see, there are some pretty cheap one-way flights to allow you to qualify for this promotion. Not to mention you have until September 30th, 2017 to fly your qualifying flight.
The good stuff:
What’s even better is that those 5,000 points are enough for a free one-way flight! It is essentially like Buy-One-Get-One.
Award flights under 700 miles (actual distance), require only 5,000 Alaska miles. That means you could fly San Diego to Sacramento for just 5,000 Alaska Miles. Another option would be San Francisco to Seattle, just 5k points. You can calculate the distance between two airports, here.
Let’s say you bought a $59 flight from the Bay Area and earned the 5,000 bonus points. You could redeem those points on a flight from San Francisco to Seattle that would otherwise cost $99! That means you are getting $158 in “flights” for $59, not bad right?
Terms and conditions
- Bonus miles offer is valid only for new Mileage Plan members who enroll between March 23 and April 30, 2017, and complete a qualifying Alaska or Virgin America flight between the enrollment date and September 30, 2017.
- To qualify, the flight must be eligible to earn Mileage Plan miles and must be credited to the new Mileage Plan account; codeshare flights with other airlines do not qualify.
- An individual may receive the bonus a maximum of one time, even if they hold multiple separate Mileage Plan accounts.
- Offer is not combinable with other Mileage Plan enrollment or account activation promotions.
- Mileage Plan conditions of membership apply.