It’s not often that an airline will match your point balance from a different airline. In fact, I can’t remember the last time this occurred, I really hope other airlines follow suit!
As you probably know by now, Alaska Airlines and Virgin America are teaming up to make the West Coast’s ‘premier airline’. JetBlue did make a bid for Virgin but was beat-out by Alaska Airlines, sounds like they aren’t too happy about it.
JetBlue will match the same amount (and more) of points that you currently have in your Virgin Elevate account after taking just a single round-trip flight on JetBlue (By Aug 31st). If you have 5,001 Elevate points they will give you 10,000 JetBlue points, how cool is that? Have 50,001 Elevate points, they will give you 75,000 JetBlue points! By the way, 75,000 JetBlue points are worth over $1,000 dollars.
Keep in mind, flights that are already booked with JetBlue DO NOT qualify, you must book a flight after you register for the promotion and you must take that flight by Aug 31st.
If you don’t have Virgin Elevate points you can transfer points from; Membership Rewards (2:1), Citi Thank You (2:1), and Starwood SPG (1:1). There is no minimum dollar amount required for your qualifying round-trip on JetBlue, just note that you must fly on a paid fare. If you are on the West Coast you can fly to JetBlue’s West Coast hub in Long Beach for rather cheap, and who can’t find a reason to go to L.A. this summer?
Let’s say you transferred 11,000 Starwood SPG points to your Virgin Elevate account at a 1:1 ratio, you would now have 11,000 Elevate points (duh). If you flew a JetBlue round-trip flight by August 31st, 2016 you will earn 30,000 JetBlue points that are worth $420 towards JetBlue flights!
After transferring 11,000 points from SPG to Virgin Elevate and by spending $113 on a round-trip (as an example), this is what you will net:
• 11,000 Virgin Elevate points worth up to $250 towards Virgin flights
• 30,000 JetBlue points worth $420 in JetBlue flights
Is it worth burning $113 in cash and 11,000 SPG points for a combined points total of $670 in value, I’d say so!
Make sure to read the fine print:
- Elevate® members must email a screenshot of their account dashboard to email@example.com by 7/4/2016. Screenshots must include first name, last name, and points balance.
Please include your TrueBlue number in the email. If you are not a TrueBlue member yet, sign up now.
- Once we assess your balance and eligibility, we’ll email you to let you know if you’re officially registered for the promotion.
- Then book and fly one roundtrip JetBlue flight by 08/31/16.
- Enjoy your new TrueBlue points balance – and love for JetBlue!